Fatal Traffic Accidents in 2013 Mark 10-Year Low, Reports NHTSA
December 20, 2014
Safety regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) have recently released findings regarding the incidence of fatal traffic accidents in 2013 (the most recent year for which statistics are now available). What they have reported is that, in 2013:
- The incidence of fatal traffic accidents decreased by more than 3 percent, dropping to just over 32,700.
- This represented a more than 25-percent decrease from a record high in 2004.
- The incidence of non-fatal, injury-related traffic accidents also declined by more than 2 percent (from 2012 to 2013).
More NHTSA Findings Regarding Fatal Traffic Accidents in 2013
Also reported in the NHTSA findings for 2013 were that:
- The incidence of injury-related crashes for all types of people on the roads decreased when compared to 2012. Specifically, there was a:
- 13 percent decrease in injury-related pedestrian accidents
- 5.4 percent decrease in injury-related motorcycle accidents
- 4 percent decrease in injury-related large truck accidents
- 2.2 percent decrease in injury-related passenger vehicle accidents
- 2 percent decrease in injury-related bicycle accidents.
- For the first time since 2009, the incidence of fatal truck and motorcycle accidents decreased (by 0.9 and 6.4 percent, respectively).
- Traffic accidents that involved distracted driving decreased by nearly 7 percent from 2012 to 2013.
- Fatal traffic accidents related to alcohol impairment also decreased by 2.5 percent, dropping to just over 10,000 (which means that alcohol is still a factor in nearly 1 in every 3 traffic accident deaths).
As NHTSA Deputy Administrator David Friedman explained:
Almost 90 people on average lose their lives each day – and more than 250 are injured every hour – due to drunk driving, not wearing a seatbelt, and the many other factors associated with traffic crashes… As we work each day at NHTSA, these are tragic reminders of the importance of our efforts and how we must build on our many successes and continue to work even harder to protect the American public.
Beaverton Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney at the Weimar Law Offices
If you have been injured in a traffic accident, Beaverton Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney Linda Weimar is ready to aggressively advocate your rights both inside and outside of the courtroom.
Since 1997, Attorney Linda Weimar has been dedicated to providing the highest quality legal services to injured people and to holding negligent parties accountable for their careless and reckless behaviors. This means that we can always be relied on to provide compassionate support to our clients while aggressively pursuing their rights to compensation for their injuries and losses.
Your Rights Are Important to Us – Let’s Talk about Your Case
We are ready to talk about your rights and get your case started at no upfront cost. To get professional legal advice during a free initial consult, call us at (503) 640-5000 or email us using the Contact form on this page.
From our offices in Beaverton, Attorney Linda Weimar represents people with various types of personal injury claims throughout Washington County, including in West Side and Hillsboro.