First Tween Seatbelt Campaign Launched by NHTSA
March 20, 2015
Last week, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) officially announced that it would be kicking off its first-ever tween seatbelt campaign.
Targeting the parents of 8 to 14 years old children (or so-called tweens), this tween seatbelt campaign is encouraging parents to be more vigilant about having their tweens buckle up, as:
- More than half of the 8 to 14 years olds killed in fatal traffic accidents over the past 5 years were NOT wearing their seatbelts at the time of the collision.
- Seatbelt use has been found to decrease as tweens become teens.
- Wearing seatbelts can reduce the severity of injuries and the incidence of fatal motor vehicle accidents by as much of 50 percent.
More Details about the New Tween Seatbelt Campaign
While this new tween seatbelt campaign has been motivated, in part, by the above-noted statistics, it has also stemmed from the findings of some recent focus group studies conducted by the NHTSA. These studies generally found that, as parents cart their tweens around (from school to sports practices to social obligations, etc.), seatbelt use among tweens – and parent’s focus on enforcing seatbelt use – decreases significantly.
Similarly, the NHTSA has noted that:
- Tweens naturally “test the limits, because it’s how they learn and grow.” So, it’s more crucial that parents are a bit more focused on enforcing seatbelt use to continue to instill good habits in their children.
- Parents can be effective communicators and great examples of safe driving (and riding) habits for their children.
In support of this new NHTSA tween seatbelt campaign, U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx stated:
Buckling up is an important habit to instill in children at a young age. As parents, we need to lead by example and reinforce the message to make sure it sticks…This campaign urges parents to never give up until their kids buckle up.
NHTSA Administrator Dr. Mark Rosekind supported Foxx’s sentiments, explaining:
Kids will always test the limits with their parents or caregivers, but there is no room for compromise when it comes to wearing a seat belt… Sounding like a broken record can save your child’s life. Kids need constant reminders and this is one that can’t be skipped.
Beaverton Car Accident Attorney at the Weimar Law Offices
If you have been injured in a traffic accident, Beaverton Car Accident Attorney Linda Weimar is ready to aggressively advocate your rights both inside and outside of the courtroom. For nearly two decades, Attorney Linda Weimar has been dedicated to providing the highest quality legal services to injured people and helping them pursue compensation and justice. Let Attorney Linda Weimar put her skills, experience and resources to work helping you now.
To find out more about how Attorney Linda Weimar can help you, schedule a free, no obligations initial consult with her today. You can schedule this meeting by calling our firm at (503) 640-5000 or by emailing us using the Contact form on this page.
From our offices in Beaverton, Attorney Linda Weimar represents people with various types of personal injury claims throughout Washington County, including in West Side and Hillsboro.