Ignition Switch Defects Trigger another Massive GM Recall
June 20, 2014
Another massive GM recall has been announced, and more than 3.16 million vehicles in the U.S. will be affected by it. According to the announcement made in mid-June, the latest GM recall involves an ignition switch defect that is similar to the ignition switch defect that has been linked to 13 deaths, has reportedly caused 31 car accidents and has been the center of a highly-publicized PR and legal nightmare for GM.
With this latest ignition switch recall, GM is reporting that:
- The specific problem can cause the ignition switch to move out of its proper position when the keys are jostled or when vehicles hit bumps in the road or experience a “jarring road event.” In turn, this can result in cars’ power steering and power brakes to turn off, the engine to shut off and/or the airbags of the vehicle to become disabled.
- The fix for this ignition switch defect will involve adding an insert into the switch to keep the vehicles’ keys in place while the vehicle is running.
- To date, GM has received reports of 8 car accidents and 6 injuries related to this vehicle equipment defect.
Vehicles Affected by the GM Recall
The specific makes and models of the vehicles that are reportedly affected by the latest GM recall include:
- Buick Lacrosse (2005 to 2009)
- Chevrolet Impala (2006 to 2014)
- Cadillac Deville (2000 to 2005)
- Cadillac DTS (2004 to 2011)
- Buick Lucerne (2006 to 2011)
- Buick Regal LS and GS (2004 to 2005)
- Chevy Monte Carlo (2006 to 2008).
Counting this latest GM recall, the company has initiated 44 vehicle recalls in 2014 alone, affecting about 17.73 million GM vehicles in the U.S. (and about 20 million internationally). While GM scrambles to manage this latest recall, fight lawsuits regarding other equipment defects and try to save face, the manufacturer is quickly losing ground in terms of its credibility as a manufacturer of “safe” cars.
Beaverton Car Accident Attorney at the Weimar Law Offices
If you have been injured in any type of traffic accident, it’s time to contact Beaverton Car Accident Attorney Linda Weimar.
Since 1997, Attorney Linda Weimar has been dedicated to providing the highest quality legal services to injured people and to holding negligent parties accountable for their careless and reckless behaviors. This means that people who trust their important legal matters to Linda Weimar can rely on her to provide them with:
- Compassionate support
- Aggressive representation and defense of their rights to compensation
- Answers to all of their questions
- Regular case updates
- Help obtaining the compensation and justice they deserve.
Let’s Talk about Your Case – Contact Us Today
We are ready to talk about your rights and get your case started at no upfront cost. To get professional legal advice during a free initial consult, call us at (503) 640-5000 or email us using the Contact form on this page.
From our offices in Beaverton, Attorney Linda Weimar represents people with various types of personal injury claims throughout Washington County, including in West Side and Hillsboro.