March is National Brain Injury Awareness Month
February 28, 2015
Tomorrow, organizations throughout the U.S. will be banning together in support of National Brain Injury Awareness Month. While various campaigns are being held throughout the month to raise public awareness and support for ongoing brain injury prevention and research efforts, we thought that, in support of National Brain Injury Awareness Month, now is a good time to reflect on the causes and impacts of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) in the U.S.
National Brain Injury Awareness Month: A Look at Brain Injury Stats in the U.S.
The following represent some of the latest findings regarding TBIs in the U.S. (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as other reputable organizations):
- TBI is the number one cause of fatality and impairment in people younger than 44 years old in the U.S.
- While traumatic brain injuries can have various causes, motor vehicle accidents are one of the top causes of TBIs.
- Other common causes include falling, sports injuries and even combat.
- Between 1.5 million and 2 million people in the U.S. sustain a new TBI each year.
- Annually, more than 50,000 people die as a result of traumatic brain injury complications.
- Approximately 2 percent of the U.S. population (i.e., roughly 5.3 million Americans) are currently living with a traumatic brain injury.
- People living with TBIs have a far greater risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. In fact, researchers estimate the risk of developing Alzheimer’s increases by as much as 4.5 times for people who have severe traumatic brain injuries.
- There may be far more people who suffer and end up living with traumatic brain injuries in the U.S., as the reported cases only pertain to people who have sought diagnosis and treatment of their condition.
Beaverton Personal Injury and Car Accident Attorney at the Weimar Law Offices
If you have been suffered a brain injury in a traffic accident, Beaverton Car Accident Attorney Linda Weimar is ready to aggressively advocate your rights both inside and outside of the courtroom. Since 1997, Attorney Linda Weimar has been dedicated to providing the highest quality legal services to injured people and to holding negligent parties accountable for their careless and reckless behaviors.
This means that we can always be relied on to provide compassionate support to our clients while aggressively pursuing their rights to compensation for their injuries and losses. It also means that our clients can trust us to answer all of their questions, keep them informed at every stage of their case and work relentlessly to help them attain the compensation and justice they deserve.
Your Rights Are Important to Us – Let’s Talk about Your Case
We are ready to talk about your rights and get your case started at no upfront cost. To get professional legal advice during a free initial consult, call us at (503) 640-5000 or email us using the Contact form on this page.
From our offices in Beaverton, Attorney Linda Weimar represents people with various types of personal injury claims throughout Washington County, including in West Side and Hillsboro.