Dealing with Insurers after Motor Vehicle Accidents
As you pick up the pieces after motor vehicle accidents, one of the important things you will have to do is contact your auto insurance provider and report the collision. Although this may seem like a “routine” step, it can be far more important than you may realize, as what you say and how you deal with insurers may end up impacting your claim – as well as whether you are able to obtain compensation.
How to Deal with Insurance Companies after Motor Vehicle Accidents
When it comes to reporting motor vehicle accidents to insurance companies, here’s what you can do to protect yourself while positioning your claim for success:
- Report the collision ASAP – While you may need emergency medical attention after a motor vehicle accident, once your health is stable, be sure to contact your insurance provider and report the accident. This is crucial because many auto insurance policies have specific provisions requiring policyholders to report accidents within very short timeframes (like within 24, 48 or 72 hours).
- Don’t admit fault in the collision – As you talk to an insurance agent and disclose the facts of the accident, one thing to be very careful about is to not admit any fault or take any blame for having caused the accident. Even a partial admission of blame can hurt a motor vehicle accident claim, so be especially careful to not sabotage your efforts for financial recovery by even suggesting you may have caused the accident.
- Keep copies of everything – As your claim proceeds and insurers send you paperwork/mailed information, make sure that you keep everything you have been sent. This paper trail could be essential later if insurers wrongfully deny or undervalue your claim and you need to take action against them.
- Log your phone conversations – Just as you should keep all paperwork you have been sent by insurance companies, it’s also important to keep records regarding your phone conversations with insurers. In fact, you can keep a log, noting the date, duration and topic of each conversation you have with an insurance agent. These records could also prove invaluable if something goes wrong with your claim and you need to fight insurers later for the payouts you deserve.
- Contact Attorney Linda Weimar – The single most powerful thing you can do to protect your rights when dealing with insurers after motor vehicle accidents is to retain experienced North Plains Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney Linda Weimar. For nearly two decades, she has been defending the rights of people hurt in motor vehicle accidents, giving her extensive experience in working with even the most recalcitrant insurance companies.
Attorney Linda Weimar knows how insurers work, and she is ready to help you stand up to them to help you get the compensation to which you are entitled.
Contact the North Plains Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney at the Weimar Law Offices
If you or someone you love has been injured in a traffic accident, North Plains Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney Linda Weimar is ready to aggressively advocate your rights and help you get on the path to justice and financial recovery.
To discuss your rights and get your case started at no upfront cost, meet with Attorney Linda Weimar for a free, no obligations initial consultation. You can set up this meeting by calling us at (503) 640-5000 or by emailing us using the Contact form on this page.