Underride Truck Accidents: 5 Important Facts to Know (Pt. 1)
April 20, 2015
Underride truck accidents occur when vehicles crash into trucks and become lodged beneath them. Although these types of truck accidents may occur less frequently than others, when they do happen, they often result in catastrophic – if not deadly – injuries, as underride collisions can:
- Shear off the tops of smaller vehicles
- Cause vehicles to become trapped
- Make it difficult for emergency responders to get to the injured people trapped within these vehicles.
Taking a closer look at these types of collisions, this blog series will reveal some important facts about underride truck accidents. Although the info discussed herein is enlightening, remember that you can turn to Beaverton Truck Accident Attorney Linda Weimar when you need help obtaining compensation after being injured in any type of truck accident.
Underride Truck Accidents: Here’s What You Should Know
Fact 1 – The most deadly types of underride truck accidents are those that involve large trucks and smaller passenger vehicles.
Although underride accidents can involve two passenger vehicles and/or two larger vehicles, generally, these collisions are the most dangerous and deadly when they involve a smaller passenger vehicle and a larger truck. This is because, when there is such a height discrepancy between the vehicles involved in these accidents, it’s far more likely that:
- A larger portion of the smaller vehicle will become lodged beneath the larger truck.
- The roof of the smaller vehicle will be removed and/or crushed.
- The passengers of the smaller vehicle will sustain serious (and potentially irreversible) injuries to their heads and other vital organs.
Fact 2 – Each year, more than 1,100 fatal underride truck accidents occur in the U.S.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the National Accident Sampling System Crashworthiness Data System (NASS/CDA), about half of all deadly truck versus car accidents that occur in the U.S. each year are fatal underride truck accidents. This means that more than 1,100 of these deadly wrecks take place across the nation annually.
Additionally, data from these agencies has also revealed that:
- The most common point of impact in these collisions was the front of trucks.
- When the point of impact was the front of trucks, about half of these cases involved a side impact to the passenger vehicle.
- Tractor-trailers are associated with the most fatal underride collisions year after year.
Don’t miss the upcoming second part of this blog series for some more important info about underride truck accidents.
Beaverton Truck Accident Attorney at the Weimar Law Offices
If you have been injured in an underride truck accident or in any type of traffic accident, Beaverton Truck Accident Attorney Linda Weimar is ready to aggressively advocate your rights both inside and outside of the courtroom.
To discuss your rights and get your case started at no upfront cost, meet with Attorney Linda Weimar for a free initial consult. You can set up this meeting by calling us at (503) 640-5000 or emailing us using the Contact form on this page.
From our offices in Beaverton, Attorney Linda Weimar represents people with various types of personal injury claims throughout Washington County, including in West Side and Hillsboro.