Portland won’t be having any parades to celebrate its car safety record anytime soon, as it was recently ranked near bottom of the list on Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report 2015.
In fact, Portland ranked 183 out of 200 of America’s largest cities for Allstate’s annual ranking of the cities with the safest drivers. Allstate shares this data every year with the hope of educating motorists about the importance of driving safely.
Factors Considered in Ranking the ‘Worst’ Drivers across the U.S.
To rank the best versus the worst drivers in America, Allstate’s approach focused on some hard data, including (but not necessarily limited to) the:
- Average number of years between car accidents (for the average motorist in a given city)
- Accident likelihood, as compared to national averages
- Previous year’s ranking
- Population density
- Rain and snow ranking (of a given city)
- Drivewise App breaking events per 1,000 miles – The Drivewise app factor is brand new, as this app was debuted last year. It specifically rewards drivers rewards points for good driving behaviors while tracking “breaking” events, which involve any unsafe driver behaviors or maneuvers.
The Spectrum: Allstate’s Pick for Best versus Worst Drivers in the U.S.
At the top of Allstate’s Best Driver list is Kansas City, KA, which stole the coveted No. 1 Best Driver ranking from Fort Collins, CO, which topped Allstate’s list last year. Following Kansas City, the other cities that rounded out the top three spots included Brownsville, TX (in 2nd place) and Boise, ID (in 3rd place).
While Portland came pretty close to earning the last spot in this ranking for 2015, that notorious distinction was reserved this year for Boston, MA.
Bad Ranking Takeaway: Bad Behaviors to Blame
Although any number of factors can lead to auto accidents (like, for instance, road or weather conditions), motorists’ bad driving behaviors are commonly to blame. Such behaviors generally include (but are not limited to):
- Drunk or impaired driving
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Any failure to abide by traffic laws.
It can be scary to think that, at any given moment when you are driving, a motorist alongside you is impaired, distracted or simply being careless. However, the silver lining here is that:
- There are simple things drivers can do to greatly reduce their risk of being involved in traffic collisions.
- Driving defensively can be the best weapon against negligent or careless drivers.
- When any type of negligence causes traffic crashes, the careless or irresponsible drivers to blame can be held accountable – and they will be on the hook for compensating victims for their losses and injuries.
Contact Beaverton Car Accident Attorney at the Weimar Law Offices
After any type of traffic crash that may have involved a negligent driver (or any form of negligence), you can turn to Beaverton Car Accident Attorney Linda Weimar for aggressive legal advocacy and the best possible outcome to your case. To set up a free initial consult with Attorney Linda Weimar, call our firm at (503) 640-5000 or email us using the Contact form on this page.