Handling Uninsured Motorist Claims

Uninsured motorist ( UM or uninsured drivers )  and underinsured motorist (UIM) claims may involve complicated insurance laws and complex legal challenges in both Oregon and Washington State. However, with the help of an experienced attorney those issues can be resolved and you can obtain the insurance benefits you’ve paid for.

At Weimar Law Offices, our knowledge of uninsured and underinsured motorist laws in each state, and our experience dealing with insurance companies in general are valuable assets to have on your side.

If the driver who hit you didn’t have insurance or didn’t carry enough insurance to cover the medical bills, lost wages and other costs associated with your accident — we can help. To schedule a free consultation, call (503) 640-5000 or contact us online today.

Each Case Is Different

With the Portland metropolitan area extending to both sides of the Columbia River, car accidents involving drivers from both Oregon and Washington State are not uncommon. When an accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver occurs, the law of the state where the person who is making UM or UIM claim will apply.

The most important difference between the laws of these two states involves the “stacking” of UM/UIM policies. Basically, Washington allows people to add the coverage provided in multiple policies together and seek the total combined amount of coverage from their insurer. This means that if you own three cars and carry UM/UIM coverage on each individual policy, you can combine those coverage amounts.

Oregon, by contrast, does not allow the stacking of UM/UIM policies.

Free Consultations — No Recovery, No Fee

Beaverton Area: (503) 640-5000

If you’ve been injured by an underinsured or uninsured motorist, either as a driver or a passenger in someone else’s vehicle — contact us to schedule a free consultation with personal injury lawyer Linda Weimar.

Our firm handles UM and UIM claims on a contingent fee basis. This means that you will not be asked to pay any legal fees unless we are able to obtain compensation on your behalf.